Saturday, February 27, 2010

HAIR today, GONE tomorrow!

With the second treatment has come a host of new challenges. In the middle of the Chemo party, I was explaining to those present that in the next couple days, I would just reach up and with a little tug—clumps of hair would start to disappear. While I was demonstrating, I realized that indeed clumps of hair were coming out. I died a little inside! As much as the loss of my hair has been the subject of discussion and I have always been “OK” with the eventuality, I was really scared, but knew what I had to do.


For years in a therapeutic setting, I would talk with others about how healthy it was to make the conscious choice to be ACTIVE vs. reactive to life. It was a blaring example of how I could be ACTIVE in this situation with cancer (hopefully the first of many), so the call was made to Ron the Barber (my dear, sweet father-in-law) and we went out that night for our shaving party! We had a great time, though our craniums were a little drafty after the fact!



I wanted to share this little story on attitude and perception that I received from a great friend.  You can read as you are looking are the shifts in hairstyle:

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head. “Well,” she said, “I think I’ll braid my hair today.” So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. “Hmmm,” she said, “I think I’ll part my hair down the middle today.” So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. “Well,” she said, “Today I’m going to wear my hair in a pony tail.” So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn’t a single hair on her head. “YEAH!” she exclaimed, “I don’t have to fix my hair today!”

Imagine the time and product that will be saved! ;) 

I must also admit that the entire process became far easier when I knew that all of my guys would be having a similar hair fate. Here are some of the pictures!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My Justin always a huge support!
Eli and Isaac were thrilled (Eli immediately and Isaac had to warm up to the idea)!
                                                         Mohawk Family photo!

As fun as the Mohawk night was, we continued to have questions from our Eli and worried sentiment from some of our loved ones, I want you all to know that I have seen God’s hand in this trial and I know that I have found answers as I have prayed and read in the scriptures. For instance, it is extremely comforting to read a passage of scripture and have it take on a whole new meaning. This happened to me reading about the Brother of Jared in Ether 2:24-25. It is a beautiful metaphor about trial and our safety in the middle of the harshest of ‘mountain waves’. Think about whose mouth the winds are going forth from. Think about yourself as the whale in the metaphor—what enemy does the whale really have? Who is our enemy? It is comforting to know that he has prepared us against these things and we have the opportunity to pray with all of our hearts to have ‘light’ while we are in the depths of our trials. What a great blessing for us all! What are your ROCKS? (Ether 3:4).

Love to you all,

Becky

4 comments:

  1. Hayden and Wyatt are loving these pictures!!! Hayden said- Oh, that is awesome!! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello, I'm out of your ward for a few short months and look what happens. I called to ask you a question, and here I am looking at your blog.

    Wow, what a whirlwind you've been through these past weeks. And you're strength and positivity . . . Well, let me just say that I'm not really surprised. You have always been an inspiration to me. I love the pics, by the way! Thank you for keeping this blog. You have touched me deeply.

    Maryann Martinsen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mohawks! What a cute family! :) You are so darling with a shaved head!

    ReplyDelete