Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chemotherapy Treatment #1

For the last two weeks, it was this Chemotherapy session that I was dreading! Somehow I had ideas in my mind of torture chambers, filled with all of my worst fears and pains; only to find a serene, pleasant—even playful atmosphere.

So, how did I get there? Most important of all, and my true compass, Justin was right by my side (For the sake of my Young Women—He is the single best decision that I have ever made in my life. You’ll definitely want to pray for ‘a Justin’). Secondly, things really turned when Justin, during a sterile, clinical examination by Dr. Stinnett, simply paused and said, “Dr. Stinnett, we need you to know that you have been an answer to our prayers. We feel so fortunate to have you guiding Becky’s care and we trust you implicitly.” Well, needless to say, the sterile, clinic visit warmed up dramatically as both Dr. Stinnett and I were wiping tears from our eyes. I felt so grateful for Justin’s genuine regard for those around him. What a great man!

His courage and forthrightness gave me an increase of power and courage and I was ready to answer this challenge that had been put before me. A lot of you know that I have finished reading Viktor Frankel’s, Man’s Search For Meaning, he made the following comment in the book: “The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails…gives him ample opportunity…to add deeper meaning to his life.” Because of the manner in which Justin is addressing this “fateful” situation, it makes it easier for me to accept and to look forward to the deeper meaning in our lives. That is chuck full of good news!


That deeper meaning plunged itself directly into my chest and accessed a surgical site only a few days old, with a 2 inch, curved needle! To my absolute pleasure and utter surprise, I must report that the Lidocaine cream that I talked about earlier did the trick…I felt nothing! Not even the ‘little pinch’! I know that it is small and I may be reading in, but that was a huge blessing to me and an answer to prayer.

After that had passed, so did 4 cycles of Chemotherapy drugs over the next almost 4 hours. It was crazy to think about these ‘life saving chemicals’ (poisons) being pumped directly into my heart to be distributed to the rest of my body. I felt a deep sense of gratitude for all the men and women who have suffered and sacrificed to make these advancements and knowledge available to save lives.

Speaking of saving lives, I was also able to take with me one of the sweetest gifts from our family. They had embroidered all of their names in all of the corners of the blanket, so that I could wrap it around me when I was cold and scared. I will take it with me to all of my procedures. I love our family!

Lastly, but certainly not least, we have been blessed with an actually angel walking the earth named Lisa, who very affectionately calls herself the "cancer killer!” This may not come as a shock to many of you, but I spent a great deal of the Chemo session laughing my head off with Lisa and Justin. And, as it turns out she is an Anderson as well. We feel truly blessed!

It is currently 11pm and I am no worse for the ware! I was even able to help coach the Young Women’s Basketball game this evening, and vacuum. Ya baby! OK, now I am back to being a pop off and better sign off before I get another humility trial. Love to you all and thank you for your continued prayers--Becky

4 comments:

  1. Wow Becky, you are such an inspiration. I'm glad to hear the first chemo treatment was a success. You're the only person I know who would be vacuuming after a chemo treatment :) I'm always praying for you and your family. I'm so grateful you have Justin right by your side through all this! You have an amazing attitude and I'm so proud of you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things went well today Becky! You're such an awesome person and I'm so glad you're in my life! And I don't know who's comment that is above me, but what she said is true: You're the only person I know who would be vacuuming after a chemo treatment. lol =D Let me know if you ever need anything! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky and Justin...So glad the first chemo treatment is done. You are both amazing. Thank you so much for doing this blog. I know so many people are reading it and being touched and inspired by it. Leave it to you guys to serve others in the midst of a trial, but thats just you. Love you, love you, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you and are thinking of you daily!!!

    ReplyDelete