Saturday, March 6, 2010

Loss of status or...?

 My best friend was on a business trip this week, which happens at least once every two weeks; she is on the road often! With this reality in her life, she has come to expect certain things while traveling and reportedly since about the age of five has been able to claim Medallion Status. This status is not easily obtained, you must log at least 27,000 miles a year and to give an idea of just how much travel that really is, keep this in mind, to fly from SLC to Moscow is only 5,568 miles. That gives you an idea of how much travel has been involved, and with that much travel and the status, she has become accustomed to certain privileges and rights!


Imagine Tuesday rolling around and she is used to certain things being the ‘way it is’ and all of sudden the ticket agent informed her that she had, “lost her Medallion Status!”. As you can envision, my pal put up quite a fight at the ticket booth when there was no sign of the status, which meant her rights and privileges had been revoked. The conversation with the agent was so persuasive, that she did get away without paying for her bag to fly, but was strongly advised to clarify her status with the main office.

When she did so, to her shock and horror, she had indeed only logged 21,000 miles and had lost her status! She could no longer change her flights at will, or upgrade her flight, claim priority seating, nor a myriad of other privileges that had been hers. It was not a pleasant flight home as she sat in the airport for hours waiting for her chance to go home and at the end of a long business trip that is the last thing she was hoping for.

Ironically (or not), she lost her Medallion Status on the very day I lost my “hair status”, and like Denise’s experience, I had all of a sudden lost the reality that I was used to functioning under. It was a truly shocking experience to be in the shower attempting to do what I had done for the better part of my life, only to have my hair come out hundreds of pieces at a time, and for the next 30 minutes I washed away my ‘status’.

I had really taken a lot of things for granted; like walking into a store without being stared at, running my fingers through my hair, or even having the possibility of a ‘bad’ hair day! My life, for the most part, has been one of ease and comfort. I have not been glamorous or even striking enough to warrant a prolonged glance for the most part, so to feel eyes bearing down on me has been quite uncomfortable, but let’s be honest, just like Denise, I am going to arrive at my final destination—it’s just not going to be as comfortable as it once was.

It reminds me of the definition of REFINER in the Bible Dictionary, which states, “A man who separates the precious metals from the dross with which in nature they are usually found mixed. Part of the process consists in the application of great heat, in order to bring the mass into a fluid state, hence the term “refiner’s fire.” Christ is the great Refiner.”

I know that I have been in need of refinement and I am grateful for the challenge, for I know that despite the pain, lack of comfort, and increase of heat, this refiner’s fire will bring me closer to my Heavenly Father; my final destination (Isaiah 1:25, Revelations 7:13-17). I will know, on a different level what Christ really did when He sacrificed Himself for me. I know and trust that Christ has already felt the pain and depths of humility that I am now feeling and because He paid that awful price, He knows how to succor me (Alma 7:11-12) and I know where to turn for peace in the midst of chaos.


In the middle of losing the status that I once had, and ‘checking in with the main office’, I am gaining a whole new appreciation for the status I will one day enjoy, which is Eternal Life (Moroni 7:41) and that status is worth the miles that I will be asked to log!  Thank you for the lesson my friend.

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can a soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."



Helen Keller

P.S.  Mom's Heart Moment: The day after I had lost my hair, I was getting ready for the day and quite emotional about things.  I was trying to dry my eyes and finish getting ready so I wouldn't make the boys even more nervous.  Just moments later, Eli opened the door and with geniune surprise and tenderness said, "Mom, you look so beautiful."  I started to cry all over again.  I am grateful that my baby is already listening to a voice greater than his own and following through on what he hears.  I hope I can follow his example.


1 comment:

  1. I love the 'moms heart moment'. It sounds like you have the most amazing kids!

    ReplyDelete